Saturday, May 2, 2009

How does YOUR garden grow?

So this year I have decided to grow my own garden. I planted my seeds in a Jiffy Greenhouse on April 18 and within a few days (yes, days!) I was already seeing sprouts. I decided to do only easy plants this year just to see how it goes and then if I have success I might get more adventurous next year. My plans this year are for lettuce, corn, cucumber, peppers, peas, chrysanthemums and sunflowers.
Luckily, my wonderful husband has had a worm compost on the go for a couple of years now, and although I was originally horrified at the idea, it is now going to be a huge asset for my new garden. (I was mostly horrified because he wanted to keep it in the house - thankfully we agreed that the garage would be the best home for them.)
Today I had the pleasure of sorting through the worm bin to find some good soil so that I could transplant some of my seedlings into bigger pots. The roots on the corn are getting very long and I don't want them to overtake the rest of the greenhouse. I'm sure some of the little wriggly worms ended up in my
pots, but they are going into the garden soon so I don't think it will be an issue.
Check out my peas, cucumber and peppers:











Now if I can only keep my two-year old's curious little hands away it might just be a success...

No comments:

Post a Comment